HOW DO LAWYERS RELAX? GUIDANCE AND LINKS: FIND MUGGLES, START SEWING AND DISCONNECT FROM YOUR WORK
This post follows a tweet I received earlier this evening, from “Bunglingbarrister”
“Even when I’m not doing work I still think about it often. I don’t think it is healthy to never allow your brain to switch off. How do you go about it?
@CivilLitTweet @BeckyBarrister @BarristerSecret @shitbarrister P.s. don’t say booze, that helps, but only in the short term.”
That led me to look at guidance (primarily from the United States) in relation to the importance of lawyers “switching off” and guides on how to do this. Having looked at them (and being a blogger who is obviously unable to switch off) I decided to share them.
“Many people talk about the importance of spending time on things that matter the most, but few of us take the steps that are necessary to make it happen. Letting go of these cherished productivity myths is a big step towards walking the talk. Although it is hard work, confronting the realities and taking control of your time and energy is well worth the effort. It will enable you to make your best contribution in your profession, and to live your best life. “
HOW DO LAWYERS RELAX ?
That led me to consider what guidance is available to lawyers on the subject. The issue of “well being” is now becoming more central to legal work.
GUIDANCE OUT THERE
- Above the Bar addresses this question directly in “How To Relax The Thinking Mind Thinking about your cases and your clients — over and over again” this leads to the full article by Jeena Cho, author of “The Anxious Lawyer Book”.
- Karen Caffrey “Why Can’t Lawyers Relax? – And How They Can” includes a section “First Aid for Lawyers Who Can’t Relax”.
- Attorney at Work “Five Healthy Ways to Relax” includes the power of music.
- Associate’s Mind – How do you handle the stress of being a lawyer?
“If legal folks are tiring you, then go find some Muggles to hang out with. If Muggles exhaust you, then find more lawyers”
- ABA Journal – How can lawyers maximise relaxation while on vacation? (A transcript of a podcast).
- The ABA Journal has an interesting angle in Crafting helps high-achieving lawyers relax, recharge and have fun, this includes a section on “sewing away stress”.
- Legal Productivity has an article How Lawyers Relax and Unwind During the Holidays (Yes, it’s Possible!)
- Leaving the Law has Simple Steps for a Less Stressful Lawyer Life this includes the advice
“Lawyers Just Need To Have Fun”
- Lawyer Coach “Relief for Stressed Out Lawyers and Law Students”
- Thompson Reuters 5 fast, easy tricks to de-stress and relax at the office
- JD The Healthy Lawyer: Stress Management
“Have an Outlet Outside of Work”
- Smart Lawyer have something that is very relevant to this issue 5 Myths About Productivity For Lawyers. One myth is that “busy-ness is the same as being productive”. “We all know someone who is addicted to busy-ness, who is always in motion but never seems to get anywhere. Being busy creates the illusion of control and certainty. It gives the impression that we are important and in demand”
- Harrison Barnes The Importance of Disconnecting from Your Work
“Some of the happiest, most well-adjusted, and most effective people I know are also people who have a profound ability to disconnect from their work.“
A BLOG DEDICATED TO THIS ISSUE
- Jeena Cho has already been mentioned – she has a whole blog, and book, designed to prevent stress in lawyers. F
The Lawyer Stress Solution has a large number of podcasts dealing with the general issue of lawyers and stress.
WELLBEING AT THE BAR
Has a general website. The one most central to the issues here are Staying Well