MORE ON BUNDLES: VERY DIFFICULT TO USE
I worry that it is unfair on judges for me to select a small part of a carefully crafted judgment for discussion. However comments on practice and procedure are clearly made, within a judgment, for a reason. So I want to point out short observation of Mr Justice Dingeman in his judgment yesterday in Commodities Research Unit International (Holdings) Limited -v King & Wood Mallesons LLP  EWHC 727 (QB).
The judge observed that the bundles had been poorly labelled.
There was extensive documentation (in some 29 full bundles marked with letters and numbers) to which reference was made at trial. The use of the letter I for the labelling of some of the bundles, followed by numbers 1-9, was not helpful. This was because witnesses on both sides overlooked bundle “I2” when asked to turn to it, thinking it was bundle “12”.
So there we have it. A small, but important, point about the labelling of bundles. A point to look out for if you are preparing a trial bundle in the future.
- Promiscuity and bundles: can cause consternation.
- Trial bundles: Timing, Contents & Presentation: and do you know “Sedley’s Laws” ?Trial bundles. Sedley’s Laws and Documentary Carpet Bombing.
- Troublesome bundles yet again.
- Proportionality, bundles and £3 million spent on costs.
- When bundles & sanctions collide.
- More on Bundles: there is much time and money to be saved yet.
- Lengthy bundles and interim costs.
- Get bundles and skeletons to court or else.
- Relief from sanctions: Bundles: Expert evidence and litigants in person.
- Costs, proportionality and getting the bundles right.
- “Madness” over costs and useless trial bundles.
- More about trial bundles: Most of the stuff in them is useless (apparently).
- Bundles, appeals and the art of advocacy: Are poor bundles letting down your case?
- Useless Bundles; lengthy skeletons and judicial ire.
- A word about bundles: More views from the Bench.
- Trial Bundles: Another view from the Bench.
- The Importance of Trial Bundles again: Read Legal Orange.
- Yet more on bundles
- More comments from the Court of Appeal on Bundles.
- Useless bundles: all litigation life is here.