DEALING WITH THE BEREAVED CLIENT: USEFUL LINKS AND GUIDANCE (2019)
This is the time of year when Hilary Wetherell and I travel round and give the APIL course on “Fatal Accidents, Practice, Procedure and Compassion”. The course deals a lot with the law and procedural aspects of fatal accidents. However it also has an emphasis on the special skills needed when dealing with bereaved clients, coupled with an insight into how dealing with these cases can impact on the well being of the lawyers involved.
To cut a long story short we promised to send delegates on the course useful links on dealing with bereaved clients and where they can send clients for help. This was one of those days when the delegates were thoughtful and really cared about the job they did. So, for them (and hopefully many others in the same situation), here are the promised links.
(There are two dates on the fatal course left this year
- Manchester on the 28th November 2019.
- Bristol on the 3rd December 2019.
Details available here).
- NHS Choices on Dealing with Loss
- Facing Bereavement on dealing with death through accidents
- Psychlinks on Grief and Bereavement in accident or sudden death
- Loss, change and grief on dealing with sudden, accidental or traumatic death
SPECIFIC GUIDANCE FOR PROFESSIONALS DEALING WITH BEREAVED CLIENTS
- Belfast Trust has written a useful and extensive guide Dealing with Traumatic Bereavement
- Chris Blunt: After the loss of a spouse: five points for helping grieving clients
- Very useful guidance from the Centre for Grief Journey on Helping a Grieving Client (see in particular the list of things not to say)
- Mark Tyrell on Three vital pointers for helping clients with grief
- The College of Education at Penn State on Helping Clients Deal with Grief and Loss
- Gary Glober MD – How to Effectively and Efficiently Interact with Grieving Clients. rppt_publications_magazine_2008_ja_Glober.authcheckdam
GUIDANCE FOR EMPLOYERS DEALING WITH BEREAVEMENT
- ACAS on Managing Bereavement in the Workplace – a good Practice Guide
- Cruse Bereavement Care on Managing Bereavement at Work
- ACAS more general guide to Bereavement in the Workplace (with further useful links).