EVIDENCE AND WITNESS STATEMENTS: AVOIDING THE PITFALLS: WEBINAR 25th FEBRUARY 2021
I am giving a webinar on avoiding the pitfalls in evidence and witness statements on the 25th February 2021. Details are available here.
“Unfortunately, rules practice directions and guidance as to the content of witness statements appeal to be habitually ignored by practitioners. Periodically, the Court of Appeal and individual trial judges have criticised lawyers for overloading witness statements with material that should not be included” (the White Book)
Judges regularly complain that witness statements are inadequate and do not contain sufficient information, alternatively that they contain much information that is irrelevant and the witness is unable to give.
This webinar looks at:
- The mandatory requirements for witness statements and the consequences of non-compliance
- Protecting the witness from the lawyer
- Protecting the lawyer from the witness
- Witness statements and proportionality
- Where lawyers go badly wrong with witness evidence
- Explaining the significance of the statement of truth.A checklist for taking a statement